Monday, November 1, 2010

Headphones On, Volume Up!



This thought is probably the furthest thing from true, but I like to believe that there are certain songs that need to be listened to through a pair of headphones. I don’t know why, or what it is but these songs just sound better this way. I think it’s the fact that the music is going directly into my ears; it makes me feel like I can hear the music and lyrics better but also that my brain and body are feeeeeling the music as I listen.
Sometimes, music just gets lost through speakers. For example, when I am cleaning my room, I’m so preoccupied that the music playing from my IPOD falls into the background and I forget it’s even on. Or in the car, I’m so busy trying to get to where I need to be that I don’t realize my favourite song is playing on the radio.
But not with headphones. They allow you to feel the music, hear the words and have them BOTH rattle your brain… in a good way. The song “Not Out” by Greg Laswell must be heard through headphones in order to really appreciate its greatness.

I should mention that I’ve been a long time fan of Mr. Greg Laswell. I believe it was his spectacularly unique rendition of the classic “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” that captured my attention, and frankly, he’s managed to produce nothing but unique and meaningful music ever since. Aside from the fact that I think he’s adorable and has that sarcastic humour going for him on Twitter and at his concerts, he’s also just real. His lyrics are genuine, heartfelt and honest, which is truly refreshing when it comes to music these days.

Soooooo, why do I die for this specific song? I’ll tell you.

For starters, this song offers up two different but awesome music tempos, which in my opinion should have you people obsessed with the song right off the bat. We are introduced to the first tempo at the beginning of the song… the sweet and simple sound of the acoustic guitar. That, combined with his soothing voice creates an instant state of tranquility for the listener. The guitar riffs and the quick addition of the piano (0:26 in) make the song sound clean and intimate that it allows you to really focus on what the lyrics are saying and the emotions that are coupled with them.

It’s at the 1:03 mark that we get a hint of the second tempo, and we
 can hear Greg’s voice starting to rise passionately. This change of pace and the addition of the violin and electric guitar causes our auditory system to perk up and listen to every minute detail in the first chorus. He gives us that small taste of musical power (that we just know is coming) by ending the chorus with the emotionally significant words “I’m Not Out.”

Then, another gentle verse satisfies our ears, but this time he includes the main ingredient to any fabulous song…a harmony. More specifically, a subtle harmony. Trust me, you want to listen for it. This musical tool is the absolute key to my heart and the fact that he uses it in this song only enhances my love for it. Now, it’s at this second chorus that we really get to hear this “other tempo” in full force. This change in rhythm is made loud and clear as his voice starts to power up, the vocals get stronger, the violin chords are being drawn on faster and the piano is being slammed on a bit harder. It’s specifically at 2:10 that every word, every beat, and every musical note vibrates your entire body with a yearning for more. He once again repeats the words “I’m Not Out,” which at last, sparks that orgasm that is about to take over.  

Like I said before, this song is unique and a perfect way to prove that is by paying attention to the way that he skips the typical musical interlude. instead, he continues to sing the words  “I’m Not Out”  over and over again, in order to build momentum. It’s at the moment where the music starts to amplify that he lets us in on his most private, most ‘diary-like’ thoughts and feelings.

At 2:37,  we finally get to hear the reason why this song was made in the first place. It’s that initial bang on the drum and the smack of the tambourine that forces your heart to jump out of its routine beat. While at the same time, taking notice to how his low and sultry voice has gained so much rage and intensity. I don’t know about you, but it felt like there was a weight on my heart at this point; it was as if he was transferring the energy in these lyrics onto me, causing me to think about a sensitive subject of my own that I finally just wanted to freak the fuck out about

You can actually hear how worked up he is gets as his raw emotions are blasting into your ears and finally, FINALLY you get to experience the most truthful words I think I’ve ever heard.
    “And I’m sure that I am tangled up in things you’ve said out loud to me,
    so recklessly.
    And its easier to sing to the things that I wanna say to you, so I’ll sing…”

And now… for the ultimate climax of the entire song that causes even your bones to tremble:
     “you’re losing me, my love
     you’re losing me, my love
    are you losing me my love..”

I mean, fuck! It just doesn’t get any better than that, people!


So, how has this song changed my life? Well, it somehow managed to give me the exact words that I had been searching to say to a particular person in my life. Did I eventually end up saying them? No. No I did not. But the fact that I then knew what I wanted those words to be just made it better… Well that and the fact that I belted the shit out of them in my car on the daily.. that made me feel better too.

Come to think of it, I can only imagine how I looked to other drivers on the road as I gave my steering wheel a serious beating trying to unleash my fury while shouting those lines.

So bottom line:
1.    If I had to make a playlist of 5 songs to listen to for the rest of my life… this song would make the cut.
2.    I’m truly devastated that I missed his October 30th show considering my dear friend Tiffany told me he played this song.
3.    I would like to have a witty banter war with him

4. Oh, and listen to this song.. it'll change your life

1 comment: