Monday, January 10, 2011

I Can Teach You How to Dougie

Happy New Year Friends!
Due to technical difficulties you need to click on this link to see the video: 

Teach Me How To Dougie- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwPIC2HchpQ


I, along with many others like to go on vacation for the “obvious” reasons:

1.    To get a seriously needed tan (so that I’m no longer mistaken for Casper)
2.    To relax and clock in some “me” time
And 3. To treat myself to some delicious food a.k.a P.F Changs

But, I’ve also found that vacationing is a great way to discover new music as I spend that time mixing with different cultures, and becoming acquainted with their musical tastes.

It was my most recent trip (a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean) that gave me the opportunity to explore new musical genres. More importantly though, it allowed me to see that a song doesn’t necessarily require breath-taking vocals or genius musical beats for it to be considered a ‘great’ song. Rather, it can rely on other factors, like the dance moves and rhythm that people bring to it for it to be great.

We all remember the early 90’s hit song, the “Macarena”, right? Well, I’d find it hard to believe if someone said they liked the song because of its vocals and meaningful lyrics. No. This song had a presence on the music charts and became a staple on every party playlist because everyone loved the line dance associated to it.
And, I think it’s this addition of catchy dance moves to certain songs that has provoked me to fall in love with “Teach Me How To Dougie” by California Swag District.

As most of my friends know, when it comes to music, Rap/R&B is not really my genre of choice. That’s more Maggie’s thing (Maggie= my dear friend who dies for this genre and one day hopes to marry a Black man.) It wasn’t until my two friends and I walked in to White White Heat, the boat’s disco, and heard this song that I gained a newfound appreciation for this type of music.

See, the majority of White White Heat goers were of the African American race. And when this song came on, they flooded the dance floor and immediately started dancing the official “Teach Me How to Dougie” routine. Me, being unfamiliar with this song, stood on the sidelines only to be mesmerized by the way they performed these moves in unison. When the words “teach me how to dougie, t-teach me how to dougie” were heard, every guy and girl would begin to move with such swagger… a step to the left, a step to the right, two steps back to the left, while combing back a side of their hair.

Now I don’t want to put this type of line dance (or this song for that matter) on the same level as the “Macarena’s” because it’s not. It’s way cooler. I was truly envious of every person on that dance floor as they all followed the steps yet managed to add their own individual flavor to it.

To paint a better picture: you know the scene from Dirty Dancing, when Baby carries a watermelon to the staff club and stands still, jaw dropped in awe of everyone dirty dancing? Yeah…that’s forsure what I looked like. Next thing I know, my friends and I are dragged on to the dance floor and are now attempting to copy these steps in the effortlessly cool way everyone else is performing them.

It only took that one listen for me to every night after, jump up and rush to the dance floor with the rest of the crowd when this song came on.

So, after a drawn out story, how has this song changed my life? I think it allowed me to see Rap/R&B in a different light. When this song came on in that disco, it didn’t matter where anyone was from or what color someone was. Everyone just congregated on the dance floor and danced it out. I think that was my problem with this genre. I rarely listened to it because I just never thought I could find a way to relate to it musically or lyrically; this particular song isn’t musically unique and I don’t think everyone can connect to the lyrics “Can u teach me how to dougie? You know why? Cause all da bitches love me.” I mean I don’t have a clue as to what the word “dougie” means. But, it’s this dance routine associated to this song that has allowed all types of people to connect with it or at least just enjoy it. 

So bottom line?
1.    As Lisa would say, “I left this cruise with rhythm.”
2.    Watch this video below. “Wobble with Me” another great song with catchy dance moves. I wish I was at that party.
And 3, these new dance moves will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment